A Acupuncture & Chinese Herbal Medicine Clinic
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Is acupuncture really hurt?
- How does acupuncture work?
- What could I do to obtain the best therapeutic effect?
- What to expect?
- Are the needles clean?
- Who to pay for the therapies?
Q: IS ACUPUNCTURE REALLY HURT?
A: If your practitioner had strict training and rich clinical experience, your should not feel pain but some
sensations, we call it “needing sensation”, such as warmth, numbness, heaviness, tightness and light
soreness under or around the needles, during the needle insertion process. In any case, the sensations are
bearable and the patient feels comfortable.
Q: HOW DOES ACUPUNCTURE WORK?
A: The principle of Traditional Chinese Medicine is based on the ancient Chinese philosophic belief that the
body must be treated in a holistic manner. Thus it is the whole body that must be treated rather than just the
symptoms. The focus is on invigorating the body's immune system. This is especially effective for many
Acupuncture involves the insertion of thin disposable steel needles into the body's vital energy points. The aim
is to regulate the channels of energy, re-establish the balance of energy and relieve pain. It is particularly
effective for arthritis, muscular pain, depression, and surprisingly, it helps to stop smoking.
Many people also have acupuncture as a preventive treatment or because they feel unwell in themselves but
are not ill in the Western medicine sense.
Q: WHAT COULD I DO TO OBTAIN THE BEST THERAPEUTIC EFFECT?
A: The following suggestions will help you get the maximum benefits from your treatment:
- Avoid wearing tight clothing.
- Avoid treatment when excessively fatigued, hungry, or just after a big meal, or emotionally upset.
- Ask any questions you may have along the way so that you can get most benefit possible from the
- Take deep breath as asked by your therapist while inserting the needles.
- Relax during treatment. There is no need to be frightened.
- Do not change your position or move. If you are uncomfortable, please tell the therapist immediately. So
- we may make proper adjustments or stop the treatment.
- Do not do any heavy physical activity within 2 hours after the treatment.
Follow the therapist's advices regarding your diet, life style, exercise and herbal supplement to the treatment.
Q: WHAT TO EXPECT?
A: On your first visit the practitioner will ask you about the history and current state of your problem and
details about the medication that you have been taking.
Then you will be given an examination which will differ from what you have received from your family doctor
and will consist mainly of observation of the tongue to check its muscular form, colour, texture and coating and
reading of your pulses which reflect the conditions of the body's twelve vital organs.
Our experienced practitioners can identify the problems or weaknesses in your body and then prescribe the
most appropriate treatment and will recommend a course of treatment.
Q: ARE THE NEEDLES CLEAN?
A: For the safety of our patients, Needles used in this
clinic are pre-sterilized and for "ONE TIME USE ONLY".
Q: WHO TO PAY FOR THE THERAPIES?
A: There are 3 ways to pay for the therapies:
health, Canada lift, etc.) cove acupuncture therapy in their policies. Please check your insurance policy
- By yourself.
- By your private extended health insurance. Most of major insurance companies in Canada (like Liberty
book or call your insurer to ask for the coverage.
covered fully with acupuncture treatment.
- If you unfortunately have an car accident or you have been injured in your working place, you should be